As we get ready to take on each day, there is something about walking into an organized closet to get ready in. It should be your most favorite personal boutique with your most favorite items! It also needs to be orderly to make it easier to get ready. This will be one less thing that will create stress and frustrations in the mornings It just makes life a little bit sweeter.
So, first things first. Lets get organized and cleaned. That is cleaned out and a deep cleaned. Take everything out and dust, vacuum, and sweep. To maintain this you should do this regularly.
Now, its time to purge! If you want your closet to reflect a beautiful personal boutique, the only items that should be in the closet are clothing, shoes, and accessories. It is not meant to be a holding place for everything in your home that does not have an assigned place. So first purge unrelated items.
Next, purge your wardrobe. Yes, that mountain that is now on the bed needs to be sorted. For items you decide you do no longer need to keep, you need to come up with a plan. Either hand down to a relative, a donation center, or a consignment shop. This could actually be 1 or more piles. If you have a hard time ridding of your items just think of the impact you may be giving to someone else and what a help it may be to the community. If you only keep the items you truly love, your closet will be more beautiful.
Now time to clean. Vacuum or sweep the floors first. Then, dust all shelves (yap even the top one), light fixture, and the baseboards.
Now that the hard part is done, its time to make things pretty and organized. Top tips of maintaining an organized closet:
- Keep a HAMPER so your floor get covered in clothes
- BASKETS/BINS for scarves, active wear, your PJ shirt, sunglasses, and whatnot so they are laying on “The Chair” or a shelf. Out of site is best
- Use HOOKS for scarves, bags, long necklaces, or belts
- I also recommend sticking to 1 style of HANGER. This will give you that orderly and boutique style in your closet. I personally have chosen to stick with the black non-slip velvet hangers. They are thin and pleasing to the eye.
- Group your clothing by type then by color. Or By color then by type. Whichever works easier for you. Ex. Whites and creams then sleeveless to long-sleeved, Pants with pants then jeans to slacks, and so on.
Beautifying your closet:
- Use decorative HARDWARE instead of hooks to hanging items.
- Use matching boxes for storage and display items for your accessories. This is where you can really personalize to make it your own. I personally do not like too much color for it makes the eye jump often and can cause you to get distracted when getting ready. So, keep it simple.
- Add a CHANDILIER or LIGHT FIXTURE with enough LIGHT
- Use TRAYS + BOWLS for catch all item
This will help the space feel larger and of course more stylish. Happy Cleaning, Purging, + Styling!
HERE ARE SOME SOURCES I’VE USED FOR ORGANIZINGIN THIS SPACE